History of the Hotel | garni about

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier '2' in /home/hotel-belarus.com/www/hotel-garni.by/wp-content/themes/garni/functions/tour/check.php on line 35

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier 'T' in /home/hotel-belarus.com/www/hotel-garni.by/wp-content/themes/garni/functions/tour/check.php on line 35
Close

Get Adobe Flash player

Address
Minsk, Str.
International, 11
Fax: +375 17 226 15 61

History of the Hotel

Он-лайн тур по гостинице

The building is a 1st category architectural monument in the eclectic style of the 19th century included into the National list of historical and cultural values of the Republic of Belarus approved by Resolution No. 578 of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated 14.05.2007. The building restoration concept was developed by the Centre for renovation of historical and cultural landscapes and territories.
The planning structure of that part of the city in which the hotel is located was formed by the end of the 16th century. Internatsionalnaya Street was called Zborovaya Street since the 16th century till the mid-19th-century. Further (in the late 19th century) it was renamed into Preobrazhenskaya Street to commemorate the Preobrazhenskaya Church located on this street. The street was named Internatsionalnaya in 1922.
Building of stone houses in Minsk was started following fire in 1881 that destroyed the major part of wooden buildings. Here, at 7 Preobrazhenskaya Street (currently – 11 Internatsionalnaya Street) a three-storeyed stone house with an attic and a two-storeyed stone wing with stove heating owned by merchant Sutin Berko Nakhimov was constructed by authority of Minsk administrative board in 1887. According to the immovable property census in Minsk in 1910, the plot and house at 7 Preobrazhenskaya Street were registered as a hotel which was named Machiz judging by its signboard. At that time, many hotels in Europe were called Garni. The word ‘Garni’ derives from the French word ‘garni’ that means a ‘furnished room’ and according to Mikhelson’s explanatory dictionary this word is explained as ‘to decorate’, ‘to furnish’, ‘to fit with the necessary (rooms, clothes and dishes)’.
One of the hotels in Minsk also bore this name that underlay the name of the present hotel. The building was symmetrical in its composition. Extended façade was divided by five risalits into four equal parts. Risalits were completed by shaped attics with decorations. There were arch passages in side risalits. There was the main entrance with a metallic canopy supported by metallic columns in the central risalit. Entry arches, doorways and window openings had framings. The ground floor was separated from the first floor by a profiled belt. Arch windows of the first floor were supplemented with open-work grill balconies. Doorways and window openings had shaped canopies. The second floor had the same design solution. The wall ended with a well developed cornice. The roof had a tin covering. In 1917, an office of the communications head of the Western front armies was located in the hotel’s building.
The building did not suffer from the Great Patriotic War, however, its appearance changed in the 1960s – balconies and some decorations disappeared and an entry arch appeared. At present, some historical pictures remaining which depict the roof’s appearance and location of balconies have been taken as the basis at restoration of the building. Currently, the appearance of the building is preserved in full: it has 3 storeys above ground, an attic and a basement. Interiors in the style of the 19th century are recreated inside the building.

Book online
X